In the 2008 season, the Jets finished 9-7 in the regular season, finishing in third place in the AFC East. This will be their first draft under new head coach Rex Ryan, who replaced Eric Mangini in January.
Including 2009, the Jets have used four of their last six first-round selections on offensive players.
- The Jets acquired the 5th pick in the 1st round from the Cleveland Browns in exchange for the 17th pick in the first round, the 20th pick in the 2nd round (52nd overall), Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff and Abram Elam on April 25, 2009.
- The Jets acquired the 12th pick in the 3rd round (76th overall) and a 2008 4th-round pick from the New Orleans Saints in exchange for Jonathan Vilma and a the 18th pick in the 4th round (118th overall) on Feb. 29, 2008.
- The Jets traded the 19th pick in the 3rd round (83rd overall) to the Green Bay Packers in exchange for Brett Favre and a 2010 draft pick on Aug. 6, 2008.
- The Jets acquired the 15th pick in the 4th round (115th overall) from the Washington Redskins in exchange for Pete Kendall on Aug. 23, 2007.
- The Jets traded the 17th pick in the 5th round (153rd overall) and a 2010 draft pick to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for Lito Sheppard on Feb. 28, 2009.